Saturday, September 15, 2012

Inspiration Elevator - Challenge 5


You may recall from last month's challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow.  You can view all of the challenges on my blog here.

This month, our challenger was the very talented Laurel Seabrook. Laurel loves flea markets and garage sales and would love to incorporate more of those items into her art.  In fact, we have invited a valued guest designer to join us this month; her name is Christy Riopel. We welcome Christy from her regular writing and creating job at Canadian Scrapbooker magazine.

Here's a bit of what Laurel had to say in her challenge this month.

"I love going to garage sales, flea markets and thrift shops to find fun items for me to upcycle into
something else either for my own home or to give as a gift. I also love just to pick up some old things that appear to have some sort of story to them. I love the shabbiness of old, worn items and the warm
comforting feeling they evoke.


My challenge for you is to scrap an old photo/photos. Not only that I want you to incorporate something that is not normally a scrapping item, upcycle/recycle something to include on your layout. Vintage is definitely not my style when it comes to paper crafting. I like clean and simple so this will be a challenge for me."

I have many vintage photos - when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, she and I spent many hours going through her photos and jotting down names and dates of those that she could remember.  In the end, though, I ended up using these original photos of me, taken when I was a year old:


Supplies:  Bazzill cardstock; My Mind's Eye, Basic Grey and Echo Park patterned papers; EK Success, Kreaxions and Martha Stewart Crafts punches; My Mind's Eye doily sticker and paper clip; Crate Paper alpha and tag stickers; Ranger Distress Ink; Martha Stewart Crafts fringe scissors; Prima paper butterflies; Stampin' Up! button brads; Recollections washi tape; Glue Dots;  Sharpie pen; vintage lace and patterned papers.

I had a lot of fun adding bits of this and that to this layout.  I could have probably added more, or maybe used some more stamping in the background, but I used what I had at the crop.  I finished the stitching when I got back home.

Here are the detailed photos.  The mini flowers were punched with a Kreaxions punch borrowed from Bev Code, their DT coordinator.  I then spritzed them with water and wrinkled them up.  Once dry, I layered them, poked a hole using my paper piercer and then held them together with teeny tiny button brads - thanks to Candie for sharing!


The large border was punched with my new Martha Stewart punch - LOVE it!  I attached it to my layout at the top only, and then using my Glue Dots, attached the fringed pattern paper underneath.  To make the fringed paper, I cut strips of pattern 12"x 1.5" long and sewed them together along the top to keep them together.  Using my MS fringe scissors, I snipped the strip all along the edge, taking care not to cut through the sewed edge.  Ruffle a bit and BINGO - instant fringe!


One of the Echo Park tickets was the perfect size and colour that I wanted to use for my layout.  Sadly, it had MEAT MARKET written across the top of it!! Not really appropriate for vintage baby photos! :) So I had to strategically place another ticket, a paper clip and some lovely paper butterflies over it!  Happy accident!



The title was simply a layering of alpha stickers, phrases and some new washi tape that I picked up at Michael's for 50% off - love a good deal!


I hope you hope along and see what the other designers on this adventure have created:



We would love to see what you are inspired to create.   Add a comment and a link below and we will be sure to drop by and say hello.

Cheers,







P/S:  Don't forget about the following challenges on my blog (deadlines in brackets):
Leave Your Legacy (Nov 30/12)



10 comments:

  1. Hope you are having a fabulous time cropping today! Looking forward to seeing what you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing you at the crop and loved your little workshop. and thaks for your contributions in way of prizes.
    will check back for your masterpiece later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so lovely, the fringe pattern is inspiring and the lace is so pretty. and what a cutie you were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout Sue! I love all the little bits and pieces you added to your page and your photos are adorable! It was fun to see you at the crop :)
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue those photos are just so so adorable!!! Your layers are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue this is super cute..just like you. I like the little pics and the colours. Those tiny little flowers are wonderful up close and it has so many perfect details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this! I'm glad I came back to check. This is gorgeous Sue!! Adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this in the making, and I adore all the bits you added to it once you got home. I love your border strips with the double row of fringe and will be using that idea thank you very much!
    What a beautiful page that does justice to those lovely baby portraits of you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I appreciate the feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...