Sunday, July 15, 2012

Inspiration Elevator - Challenge 3


Welcome to our third Inspiration Elevator challenge!

You may recall from last month's challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. 

This month, our challenger was the very talented Audrey Yeager.  Audrey noticed (as you may have, too) that all but one of our members is a single page designer, meaning that our default design is a single 12x12 design!  The exception is Carolyn Wolff; her go-to style is a double page format and so the challenge will be a bit different for her.  That's why we love IE... so many styles and we all approach it differently!  In fact, we have invited a valued guest designer to join us this month; her name is Scarlett Salamone

Here's a bit of what Audrey had to say in her challenge this month. She even gives us a few tips and a link to a great blog for inspiration!

I take a lot of photos.  Right now, I have been using 2 or 3 smaller photos on my layouts.  But truth is, I have a lot of events where I would like to include a lot of photos on a larger spread so that you can see the details in the photos to.  So I print out the photos with the intention of putting them on a 2-page spread... but  I just can’t get it.  I feel like I have a certain style, yet when  I sit down to create a 2 pager, it feels nothing like “me”.

SOOOO, your next challenge is to create a double page layout. And I don’t mean just any double page. I want you to really think about your style and your design practices for single pagers (the first assignment helped us define our style, so think about those elements). Then take those ideas and try to apply them to a double pager.

Here are some ideas:
  • Start by thinking of your canvas as a 12x24” size. Before you even print photos or pick papers, try to envision (or sketch out) a design that feels like “you”.
  • Once you have a basic design, think about the techniques that you love and where/how you will incorporate them on your page.
  • Choose products that you would use for a single page layout. If you use white cardstock as a base a lot of time, then use it on your double page. If you mostly use patterned paper, then use that. And if you don’t have 2 of the same sheets of patterned paper for your background, I REALLY challenge you to use 2 different 12x12 sheets for the base of your spread! Kim Watson does a superb job of using 2 different sheets for her backgrounds. If you have CK magazine, look at some of her pages or check out her blog.

Another way to approach this, (which I personally want to experiment with more), is to create 2 single pagers, but use the same papers in the same ratios. The papers and the photos will help tie your design together.

You might do this challenge and not be happy with your first result, so I challenge you to KEEP TRYING! Do a second double page layout and try to learn from your “mistakes” on the first one. Also, if you typically DO create 2 pagers, then apply the same ideas to a single page spread instead.

As we create this month, if you have thoughts about your process or are struggling, OR you are loving what you are creating, share some of your ideas with us!!!

I can’t wait to see what you create!

Well, when I first read Audrey's challenge, I was excited!  That is, until I sat down with my supplies and tried to complete this challenge.

That's when the cursing began.

I haven't completed a two page layout in at least 4 years and probably only that one in the last 7  years.  My style is usually one enlarged photo on a 12x12 layout.  So this challenge initially scared me and then piqued my interest.  I have an overwhelming number of photos and it makes sense to try to use more than one per page, especially if the goal is to get caught up.

Oops!  Sorry - just fell off my chair from laughing too hard.

At any rate, I found some photos and plugged away at this challenge.  And you know what?  In the end, I LOVE my layout.  While its' minimalistic design is not similar to my current designs, this challenge really helped me to achieve my constant goal of focusing on the photos and the story.

Here's my layout:


Supplies used:  Bazzill and DieCuts With a View cardstock; Fancy Pants & Scenic Route patterned papers; EK Success punches; My Favorite Things Dienamics die; Basic Grey and Lily Bee alpha stickers; Just Cre8 alpha stamps; Tsukineko and Tim Holtz Distress inks; Sakura Pigma Micron Pen; Fiskars foam adhesive.  Photos by Gary Sykes.

Here are the pages, separately:



I added a matte to my favourite photo of the bunch and used dimensional foam adhesive, creating a focal point on page 2.  I also tilted it for some visual interest.


I'd like to say that the title was a calculated effort, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't have enough P's for the title in the letters I wanted to use, but I did have one in a co-ordinating colour.


 I love the look - and I stand by my claim that there are NO mistakes - only happy accidents! :)

Speaking of love, I LOVE this Dienamics die from My Favorite Things.  I think it cooordinates with one of their stamp sets, but it's the perfect size for little titles on a page!  And those Lily Bee alphas... SWOON!  Perfect size, but MAN! There were a right B!%&H to get straight... :)


Thanks, Audrey, for the challenge!  I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:


Cheers,


If you decide to play along, leave a link to share your design - we'd love to see what you create!

9 comments:

  1. Wow Sue! Your layout is awesome! I love your color choice, your 'happy accident' on your title and the heartfelt journaling! Perfect!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your journaling, fun photos and colors Sue. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh! I love this! Awesome photos, perfection on the journaling and I adore the color scheme! This rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, Sue, Sue... I think you found your new calling as a 2 page designer!! I love that you had so much room to tell the story and the highlight photo is genius!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the deign here! The color palette is perfect and I love how you highlighted the story and popped that photo up. Your doodle frame is perfect is so well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Sue! First of all, the pictrues are awesome but they layout is aawesome!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your story...great Double Layout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you tilted and popped up that photo - which has fabulous perspective! Great 2-pager, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantabulous pages!! Love the series of photos you captured here and all the journaling. The color combo is beautifully used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I appreciate the feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...